Thursday, February 5, 2015

A little weird


So, the other day I cooked dinner for a few close friends. I went to a local market to get my meat and presented the butcher with my container with a smile and an explanation. What I got was confusion, insulting facial expressions, and was told that I'm weird.

I was offended.  More than that, my feelings were hurt. No one likes to be treated as if they are strange for doing something different.  I got in my car and tried not to cry.

After preparing my zero-waste meal of the evening and enjoying time with my very supportive friends (they think I'm weird too, but not because of my eco-friendly lifestyle), I started thinking of the reasons my lifestyle may seem strange or foreign to others. The sad truth of the matter is we are living in a time when most things are disposable. We aren't made to be conscientious of the affect our consumerism has on our planet. My hope is that by sharing my journey, I can make people aware and help them to live a more eco-conscious life.

I thank all of you who continue to read my blog with an open mind. It's time for change.

Update: I reached out to the management of the market as a few friends suggested. I am certain that no business owner would appreciate their employees being rude to customers. I am happy to say I got a quick, and very nice response! Thank you to Cheryle of Dennis Public Market for being so diligent and following up!




No comments:

Post a Comment