Sunday, January 25, 2015

I love Sunday's!

I love Sunday's!  Especially ones like today! Slept in with a snuggly baby and husband, went for a walk to the beach (5 miles!), and made a delicious dinner with my friend Kelsey. A zero-waste dinner!

Liam and Daddy enjoying the outdoors

Grocery Shopping Zero-Waste

Zero-Waste grocery shopping takes a little planning. I know things will be easier once I have a routine. Right now it's a lot of research and calling ahead to make sure places are okay with me bringing my own containers.

I called ahead to a local butcher who was fine with putting meat into my containers (thank you Peterson's!). I was relieved that the guy behind the container was so nice about it. I was so happy that people were inquisitive about my glass containers. It gave me an opportunity to discuss my zero-waste lifestyle.


Dinner

Here's my shopping list:

Spinach- I ended up getting mixed greens in a plastic container that I will use to make jewelry. I'm really looking forward to buying my greens from the farmers markets come spring. 

Chicken- put into my glass container.

Sandwich meat for my husband's lunches- also put in a glass container. 

*Produce- no bags!

The meal I made this evening consisted of steamed greens with a sesame sauce (made with tahini, maple syrup, and tamari), quinoa, and chicken. Simple. Easy. Delicious!

My version of horenso goma ae

*Unfortunately produce comes with stickers and stickers are technically waste. In the future we plan on growing as many of our own fruits and veggies as possible to avoid this.




No comments:

Post a Comment